Friday, June 8, 2012

Thursday Quick Write Post


It has always been a dream of mine to publish a YA novel and so when I saw today’s Quick- Write, and using the advice of Kate, I thought I would use Thursday’s “assignment” to explore writing from the mind of my character, or who I envision she might become.  Thank you for the feedback on my first post and thanks for helping me grow as a writer!  
A student walks into the library/media center at lunchtime.  What is she/he thinking?  Worried about?  Dreading?  Hoping or wishing for? What are the risks/stakes for him/her? Show us in a paragraph or two.
I can’t believe I am doing this!  I know that our school librarian has talked to us a lot about the library being a place to answer our “burning questions,” but this question is one that will cause me to be more vulnerable than I have ever allowed myself to be.  How do I approach her about a question like this? Once I ask her, she will have a window into a part of me that I haven’t revealed to anyone.  To everyone in this library, I am one of them.  I live on their same suburban streets.  I shop in their same preppy stores.  I pretend that I belong in my family.  Once I begin the search for answers, there will be no turning back.  
As I approach the counter where Miss Pennyweather sits, checking out books to students whose biggest question is, “ What is the weight of the average polar bear?”, my stomach is preforming it’s own version of Circ de Soleil.  I stare at the back of John Macon’s head and work through how I will phrase my question.  Should I be direct and just lay it out there?  Should I pretend I am doing research for a school project?  Should I say I am asking for a friend?  As the number of students between me and Miss Pennyweather ticks off like the minutes on the clock, I feel that I am approaching my destiny, and I pray that I will find the answer that I am looking for.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely curious as to what her question is. I like the comparison of how the students in front her of "ticks off like the minutes on the clock."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This prompt was provided by Teacher's Write and I did not create it. http://www.katemessner.com/teachers-write-62413-mini-lesson-monday-notebooks/ Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete